Friday, July 10, 2009

Internet Radio, Royalties, Musicians, and Record Labels:

I was raised on radio. By that I mean I can barely remember a time when I didn't listen to music on the radio. The idea of hearing something new I've never heard before - along with something I loved a long time ago that I haven't heard in a while - has been part of the soundtrack of my life for a long time. But somewhere along the way - I don't know exactly how or when it happened - I stopped listening to music on the radio at work. At least when it comes to old-fashioned over-the-air broadcast radio, that is. In fact, I still listen to music on the radio all day at work - except that now it's Internet streaming radio that I play through my computer speakers. With a few keystrokes on my keyboard, I can change the station without hardly moving. But behind that simple act there is a lot of money to be made and lost by Internet radio stations, record labels and recording artists. Here is an article that describes a new deal that has been cut to dole out some of the money that is being made. This deal means that Internet radio is going to be around for at least a while longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment